Spicy Mac and Cheese with Coconut “Bacon”
- PREPARATION TIME : 20 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 20 minutes
- SERVES : 6-8
Share onPRINT RECIPE
Special thanks to The Yum Yum Factor for creating this delicious recipe.
- 454 g (1 lb) cavatappi
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans of Grace Organic Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp of Scotch Bonnet Hot Pepper Sauce or to taste 1 tsp kosher salt
- 250g (9oz) sharp, white cheddar, grated
- Put the water and pasta into a deep pot and bring to a simmer, stirring almost constantly so it doesn’t stick.
- After a couple of minutes, add in the coconut milk, stirring constantly and bring back up to a simmer. As soon as it starts to simmer again, turn the heat to low and continue to cook your pasta, stirring almost constantly as you keep watch. It will take about ten minutes for your pasta to cook. If your pasta is not cooked yet but the liquid is absorbing too much, add a bit more coconut milk because you want some milk left in the pot when it’s tender to make the cheese sauce.
- Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, add in the butter, the scotch bonnet hot pepper sauce, the salt and the grated cheeses and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the cheese it totally melted and incorporated into the sauce. You can add a bit more coconut milk if you want it a bit creamier and when the consistency is perfect, taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve right away and top each bowl with some of the Coconut “Bacon” topping
*Coconut Chip Bacon
- 1 bag of Grace Coconut Chips (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Heat oven to 325F
- Mix together the soy sauce, liquid smoke and smoked paprika.
- Line a small baking sheet with some parchment and pour out the coconut chips on the parchment. Drizzle the soy sauce mixture and toss well until all of the coconut chips are coated. Spread them out in an even layer and put the sheet in the oven on the centre rack.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn. After 10 minutes, check on it every 2 minutes until it’s nicely browned but not burnt. It should take between 15 and 20 minutes in total, depending on your oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool to room temperature. The chips will crisp up as they cool. Set aside.
Coconut Bacon Topping
- 1 cup panko or fresh bread crumbs
- *40 g Coconut Chip Bacon
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp butter
- 15g (0.5 oz) freshly grated parmesan
Melt the butter in a small frying pan and throw in the garlic, cooking for just a minute before adding in the bread crumbs. Cook for three to five minutes until the bread crumbs are crispy, throw in the coconut bacon and then add in the grated parmesan, cook for another 30 minutes before you remove it from the heat and set aside.