Coconut Pumpkin Pie
- PREPARATION TIME : 5 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 1.5 hours
- SERVES : 8
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
1 14 oz (398 mL) can pure pumpkin puree
1 14 oz (398 mL) can Grace Organic Coconut Milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Grace Organic Coconut Sugar
3 large eggs
1 Tbs. molasses (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream or the thick layer from the top of a can of coconut milk (or a combination)
1 tbsp sugar or maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin, coconut milk, sugars, eggs, molasses, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and salt until well blended and smooth. Pour into the crust.
3. Bake for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, until the filling is set but still a little wobbly in the middle and the crust is golden. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie lightly with a sheet of foil as it bakes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
4. When you’re ready to serve it, whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Serve dolloped on top of the pie.
Chef tip: This smooth, creamy pie can be made dairy free if you use a lard or shortening-based pastry crust. For added coconut flavour, swap coconut extract for the vanilla.