Creme Caramel Flan
- PREPARATION TIME : 20 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 1 hour
- SERVES : 6
Share onPRINT RECIPE
Special thanks to Eat Live Travel Write for this dairy free delicious dessert!
- For the caramel:
- 1/2 cup Grace Coconut Sugar
- 2 tbsps water
- For the custard:
- 1 can Grace Organic Coconut Milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup Grace Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 300˚F.
- Make the caramel:
- Place the sugar and water in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Do not stir.
- Once the sugar has melted and is beginning to bubble, cook a further 5 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally. The mixture will start to smell like a slightly burnt caramel – it will me more watery than traditional caramel, less syrupy. Don’t worry!
- Divide the caramel evenly between six ramekins (83mls or ⅓ cup each). Swirl the caramel to completely coat the base of each ramekin.
- Set the ramekins in a high-sided baking dish and boil a kettle.
- Make the custard:
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar until thick and slightly pale.
- Heat the coconut milk, whisking constantly, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Once smooth (the coconut cream can be a little lumpy) and simmering (NOT boiling), drizzle the milk slowly into the eggs and sugar, whisking constantly until you’ve incorporated all the milk.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the custard into a 500ml jug and divide evenly between the six ramekins.
- Carefully pour the boiling water into the baking dish until it’s just over ½ way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Carefully place the baking dish in the oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the custards are JUST set (they should be jiggly in the centre still).
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Cover each ramekin with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- To remove the custards from the ramekins, gently run a sharp knife around the edge of the ramekins (alternatively you can set the ramekins in lukewarm water for a few minutes).
- Place a plate on top of the ramekin and, holding tight, flip the plate and ramekin. You might have to gently shake the plate/ramekin until you hear the custard slide down onto the plate.
- Serve immediately topped with Grace coconut chips as garnish.