Creme Caramel Flan
- PREPARATION TIME : 20 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 1 hour
- SERVES : 6
For the caramel:
1/2 cup Grace Coconut Sugar
2 tbsps water
For the custard:
1 can Grace Organic Coconut Milk
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup Grace Coconut Sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 300˚F.
2. Make the caramel:
3. Place the sugar and water in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Do not stir.
4. Once the sugar has melted and is beginning to bubble, cook a further 5 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally. The mixture will start to smell like a slightly burnt caramel – it will me more watery than traditional caramel, less syrupy. Don’t worry!
5. Divide the caramel evenly between six ramekins (83mls or ⅓ cup each). Swirl the caramel to completely coat the base of each ramekin.
6. Set the ramekins in a high-sided baking dish and boil a kettle.
7. Make the custard:
8. In a heat-proof bowl, whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar until thick and slightly pale.
9. Heat the coconut milk, whisking constantly, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
10. Once smooth (the coconut cream can be a little lumpy) and simmering (NOT boiling), drizzle the milk slowly into the eggs and sugar, whisking constantly until you’ve incorporated all the milk.
11. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
12. Pour the custard into a 500ml jug and divide evenly between the six ramekins.
13. Carefully pour the boiling water into the baking dish until it’s just over ½ way up the sides of the ramekins.
14. Carefully place the baking dish in the oven.
15. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the custards are JUST set (they should be jiggly in the centre still).
16. Remove the ramekins from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
17. Cover each ramekin with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
18. To remove the custards from the ramekins, gently run a sharp knife around the edge of the ramekins (alternatively you can set the ramekins in lukewarm water for a few minutes).
19. Place a plate on top of the ramekin and, holding tight, flip the plate and ramekin. You might have to gently shake the plate/ramekin until you hear the custard slide down onto the plate.
20. Serve immediately topped with Grace coconut chips as garnish.