Scallops with Coconut Rice
- PREPARATION TIME : 10 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 20 minutes
- SERVES : 2
For the coconut rice:
1 cup basmati rice (rinsed)
1 cup water
1 cup Grace coconut milk (stirred)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leafed parsley
For the scallops:
6-8 large sea scallops
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. Grace coconut oil
1/4 cup Grace coconut sugar
For the sauce:
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
4 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. Grace coconut sugar
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, soy sauce, ginger and coconut sugar. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the rice, water, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and stir in cilantro or parsley.
3. While rice is cooking/standing, heat 1 Tbsp. oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pat scallops dry, season with a bit of salt and pepper. Spread coconut sugar in to an even layer on a plate. Press both sides of scallops in to the sugar. Place scallops in hot skillet and cook until golden on the underside, about 2 minutes, then flip scallops and cook the other side for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove scallops to a plate and discard oil in pan. Tent scallops with aluminum foil to keep warm. Return skillet to the stove-top over medium-high heat.
4. Add orange/soy sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium or medium low and allow to simmer, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Taste and add a bit more coconut sugar, if needed, to taste.
5. To serve, spoon rice on to plate. Top with scallops and drizzle with sauce. Scatter some Grace coconut chips, if desired as garnish and for crunch. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.