Brazilian Shrimp Soup
- PREPARATION TIME : 5 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 15 minutes
- SERVES : 2-3
2 tbsps Grace Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
400 grams shrimp peeled and deveined
1 whole green pepper diced
1/4 cup shallot sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper
5 tbsps cilantro
796 mL can diced tomatoes
1 can Grace Organic Coconut Milk
3 tbsps cilantro for garnish
1. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium high heat in a heavy bottomed pot. Add shrimp and sear for no more than one minute, stirring often. This gives the shrimp great texture, similar to “browning” meat. You can skip this step and add the shrimp at the end which will cook in the soup but it will have more of a poached texture. Remove and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon over medium heat in the same pot, add green peppers and shallot. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until shallot is translucent. Add garlic, cayenne pepper, chili flakes, cilantro salt and pepper. Saute 30 seconds, once you smell the garlic it is ready.
3. Add diced tomatoes, coconut milk and shrimp. Stir to combine and reduce to a simmer to allow flavours to combine.
Chef’s Tip: Keep the shrimp shells, put them in cheesecloth and tie a small satchel to place in soup as it simmers. The shells will intensify flavour in the soup.